Let's face it, work spaces tend to get really cluttered sometimes and one of the best ways to keep your focus and motivation whether you're working in your home office or in person at work is to organize, organize organize!
And it's important to realize that creating an atmosphere where you can get your creative juices flowing and do your best work is one of the ultimate forms of self-care.
Hot cocoa, comfort food, beautiful mountain peaks, and holiday jingles all provide fond thoughts about the winter months. While all of these wonderful memories are reminiscent of the holiday season, so is the glum weather.
But the slushy snow, slippery sidewalks and the miraculous bout of rain, snow, hail and sunshine all at the same time can truly take a toll on your motivation to get office work done. Luckily, you can jazz up your office space during the wintertime to ward off a dreary mood and be more productive as a result.
Try these 5 tips to spruce up your office this winter:
1. Embrace the winter. If you spend your time dreading the fact that it's winter, your productivity will suffer because your negative thoughts will set the tone for your work process. Embrace the winter by bringing in classic winter decor.
- Snow globes, string lights, origami snowflakes, and window decals are sure to get your winter spirits pumping and your creative juices flowing.
- Keep in mind that if you work in a corporate environment, many offices have set rules for cubicle decor policies. These are made to ensure your safety (such as to prevent a fire from string lights) so find out about the office policies.
2. Vibrant accents. Winter decor is about more than white, silver, and gold. Classic winter décor is also focused around vibrant colors, such as red, green, and blue. Incorporate these bright hues to beef up the positive atmosphere in your workplace.
- Bring in a bright red lamp from the home goods store, or a snazzy tack board covered in vibrant, patterned fabric. And a vase filled with colorful candy canes certainly sets a heartwarming tone for the holiday season!
3. Make yourself at home. When you feel comfortable in your work environment, you're more likely to be productive. Just a small dab of personality and a touch of home will make you flourish when it comes to getting things done.
- If you're a sports fan, place a plaque of your favourite team on your desk. If your favourite colour is purple, place a purple throw pillow on your guest chair. And if you often relax at home next to a fish tank, place a water feature, such as a tabletop waterfall, on your desk.
4. Please your taste buds. One of the best things about the winter is comfort food. Stash packets of hot cocoa, mint tea, and candy canes in your drawer to warm your heart and please your palette this winter.
- If you work in a corporate environment rather than a home office, give everyone a piece of the action! Bake an apple pie or cheesecake at home and bring it into the office kitchenette. People are less likely to scoff in jealousy at your delight if they're able to savor the sweets with you.
5. Aromatherapy. My favourite one :-). Your sense of smell is one of the most powerful senses in your arsenal. Place invigorating candles and scented oils in your office to inspire creativity and stimulate your productivity.
- Mint, cucumber melon, pomegranate, honeydew melon, and clean linen are powerful fresh scents that are sure to help you clear your mind.
- Candles are also an effective way to get your aromatherapy fix.
With a little ingenuity and a small amount of cash, your office can go from a dreary winter cave to a welcoming workplace oasis.
Your productivity will certainly increase. Another great bonus is that you'll actually like going into work each morning.
Get your ideas flowing and give your office a seasonal makeover that will make your coworkers green with envy!